Virginia Section of the American Chemical Society
Virginia Commonwealth University
Saturday, 26th Jan. 2019
Meeting – 9:00 AM- 12:00 PM
I. Call to Order at 9:00 AM
II. Approval of the Agenda
III. Old Business
a. 2019 Budget Review & Discussion
IV. New Business
V. Officer’s Reports
a. Past Chair – Kathleen Spangler
b. Chair - Joe Pompano
c. Chair Elect – Samy El-Shall
d. Vice Chair – LaChelle Waller
e. Secretary - Sarah Porter
f. Treasurer- Rob Davidson
g. Councilors - Kristine Smetana, Ann M. Sullivan and Linette Watkins
h. Trustees - Philip P. Burks, Stephanie Mabry and James N. Demas
VI. Break – 10:30 AM
VII. Standing Committee Reports (~ 2 minutes each, please)
a. Archivist Committee - Sarah Porter
i. Education- Larry White, Greg Grover
ii. Industrial and Service - Yezdi B. Pithawalla
c. Chemical Education - Ryan Warren
d. Chemistry Olympiad- Ann Sullivan
e. Community Activities - Kristine Smetana
f. Entertainment - Kenneth Chapman
g. Government Relations- Rebecca Rose Pompano
h. History Committee- Larry White
i. Media and Public Relations - Krista Weissbart
j. Membership Hospitality – Will Lewis
k. Minority Affairs – Hyacinth Yarabe/ Charlene Crawley
l. Nominations- Kathleen Spangler
m. Publications – Jim Beck
n. Project SEED - Mike Hunnicutt
o. Safety – Joe Crockett
p. Student Affiliates- Lachelle Waller
q. Webpage - Ann Sullivan
r. Women Chemists Committee– Stacey Sank
s. Younger Chemists Committee- Julian Bobb
VIII. Other Reports
Action Items from the Strategic Planning Update, Dec. 1, 2018
- Goal 1, Strategy 3: (Janet Asper) Inventory and define how to integrate new forms of communication strategies into the current constructs of the local section wherever possible. Use a social media management platform -Hootsuite?
- Goal 3, Strategy 3: Re-energize and re-name the Hospitality Committee with regional representation and hold a social activity in 3 to 5 of the regions. From G2-S1: By May 2017, the hospitality committee will create an expanded on-boarding process for new members. A new Chair is needed for the for the Hospitality Committee. (Janet to ask new faculty member from UMW to act as Chair)
- G2-S2 (Joe): Define 4 to 5 regions within VA Section to leverage universities in regions to provide high-end technical talks (beginning Fall 2017) through their established seminar program. Have 3 sets of info/table banner in 3 different areas of section.
- G4-S1 (Denise): By Spring 2018, coordinates activity with Richmond Math/Science Innovation Center, Science Museum and AACT. Enhance budget for advertising local section events, like NCW, CCED, monthly meetings and sponsored talks. Reorganize the Chemical Education Committee into grant giving and educational outreach. Try to get a committee chair from our local section active members who teach chemistry but ACS bylaws prohibits the local section from paying ACS dues for Executive Committee members. Call it The Virginia Local Section Education Fellow?
- G4-S2 (Phil/Linette): By January 2017, identify and support regional coordinators for ACS branded community activities. Linette to inform Coordinators and Champions to meet (physically or on-line) and define duties/scope of the position of Coordinators. Linette to send a report form for description of activities to Ann for posting on website. Kristine to email coordinators to send reports about local section events to Ann for website and Jim for Bulletin.
- G4-S3 (Stephanie): By the May Exec. Meeting, review activities already in place to identify/align current activities with objectives. Stephanie will present the updated list at the Executive Committee.
- Any new goals to be added to Strategic Plan?
IX. Adjournment at 12:00 noon
The September meeting will be held on September 28th at Virginia Commonwealth University beginning at 4:30 pm The following is available or been submitted.
Click to add text, images, and other content
The May 2018 Executive Meeting will be held on the Downtown campus of Reynolds Community College.Agenda
Officer's and Committee Reports
Evonik7801 White Pine RoadRichmond, VA 23237
The Executive Committee of the Virginia Section will be Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 9:00 a.m. at Pfizer Consumer Healthcare, 1211 Sherwood Avenue, Richmond, Virginia. All members of the section are invited to attend. For questions regarding the agenda and meeting, contact the 2016 Chair of the Virginia Section, Dr. Denise Walters, at (804) 257-2828, email@example.com.
Officers and committee chairs should prepare reports for posting on the Section website and for distribution at the meeting.
Standing Committee Reports
Standing Committee Reports
The Executive Committee of the Virginia Section was held on Friday, May 15, 2015 at Pfizer Consumer Healthcare, 1211 Sherwood Avenue, Richmond, Virginia. All members of the section are invited to attend. For questions regarding the agenda and meeting, contact the 2015 Chair of the Virginia Section, Dr. Todd Koch, at (804) 257-2890, Todd.Koch@pfizer.com. Officers and committee chairs should prepare reports for posting on the Section website and for distribution at the meeting.
1. Centennial Gala – Update
2. VA Section Logo – Review and Approval
3. VA Section By-laws - Next Steps
4. Young Chemists Membership Proposal – Discussion
January 2015 minutes - revised
Standing Committee Reports